Pages

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Lesson Learned

As a diabetic I have to be careful to fuel appropriately for exercise. Today I made the wrong decision. Our friend Debbie joined us for a morning Bike ride over the Hooker Farm Road loop. I didn't want to ride with a belly full of breakfast, so I just had a mug of coffee with cream and sugar. Felt good for the first half of the ride, but ran out of gas at the base of the steep section at the end of North Broadway and never really recovered. I had no legs by the time we hit the gentle uphill of Hampstead Road. We stopped near the Rusty Lantern Market. After a little discussion we agreed that it seemed my blood sugar had crashed. Debbie was kind enough to buy me an energy bar and a Gatorade, offered with a gentle lecture. We decided to take the easy way home by Broadway rather than tackle the North Street hill.. Didn't feel strong, but recovered well enough to propel myself back at a reasonable pace. I'm lucky to have such good friends. ~ Tony

Weather: 80°F, sunny
Terrain: flat to rolling
Distance: 9.69 mi
Speed: (avg) 11.6mph; (max) 33.6mph;
Average Cadence: 72 rpm

1 comment:

  1. And your friends are lucky to have you. I'm glad you invited me to ride with you. It was a nice day to be out on our bikes and I'm glad you recovered quickly. Let's go again soon!!

    ReplyDelete